Sunday, September 18, 2016



NEXT GEN
(Part 3)
“JESUS: THE TRUE SUPERHERO NOTES”

Invariably, after I’ve finished my presentation and opened the floor to questions, a pastor raises his hand and says, “So what you’re saying is we need hipper worship bands. …” And I proceed to bang my head against the podium.

Time and again, the assumption among Christian leaders, and evangelical leaders in particular, is that the key to drawing twenty-somethings back to church is simply to make a few style updates - edgier music, more casual services, a coffee shop in the fellowship hall, a pastor who wears skinny jeans, and an updated website that includes online giving.

But here’s the thing: Having been advertised to our whole lives, we millennials have highly sensitive nonsense meters, and we’re not easily impressed with consumerism or performances.

In fact, I would argue that church-as-performance is just one more thing driving us away from the church, and evangelicalism in particular.

What millennials really want from the church is not a change in style but a change in substance.
We want an end to the culture wars. We want a truce between science and faith. We want to be known for what we stand for, not what we are against.

We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.

We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.

We want to be challenged to live lives of holiness, not only when it comes to sex, but also when it comes to simply caring for the poor and oppressed, pursuing reconciliation, engaging in creation care, and becoming peacemakers.

You can’t hand us a latte and then go about business as usual and expect us to stick around. We’re not leaving the church because we don’t find the cool factor there; we’re leaving the church because we don’t find Jesus there.

Like every generation before ours and every generation after, deep down, we long for Jesus.



I.                    JESUS PRE CREATION
1.     He was before all
John 1:1-4; 14-15
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men… 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.

John 17:5
And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

John 8:54-59
54 Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. 55 Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” 59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

2.     He made everything and holds it together
Colossians 1:16-17
16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.


II.                  JESUS AND THE CROSS
1.     Born as a Man (Son of Man)
Matthew 8:20
20 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

2.      He was born of a Virgin. Isaiah 7:14; Isaiah 9:6-7
1 Corinthians 15:21-22
21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.


3.      He Lived as a Man Anointed by the Holy Spirit. Phil 2:5-8
4.      His suffering was all for us.
Isaiah 53:5
5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.

III.               THE RESURRECTION
1.      He raised Himself from the dead
John 10:17-18
17 “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

John 2:18-20
18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?” 19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

2.      He has an awesome resurrected body
Phil 3:21
21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

IV.               JESUS RIGHT NOW
1.      He sits in Heaven.
Eph 1:20
20 which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places.


2.     He has all Power
Matthew 28:18
18 And Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

3.     Every Knee will bow to Him
Phil 2:10
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Revelations 5:13
13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!

4.     Unchangeable.
Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

5.     He lives to Pray for us

6.      Chief among 10,000. Song 5:10
7.      He can help you when you are tempted.
Hebrews 2:18
18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Hebrews 4:14-16
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

V.                  WHAT IS HE LIKE

1.     Meek and Humble in Heart
Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

2.     Savior
Luke 19:1-10
And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich. And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see him…And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house…And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
                       
3.      Love
-          Do unto others as you would want done unto you
-          When you are cursed – Bless
-          Give to those who are in need
-          Love neighbor as yourself
-          Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s
-          He came to give us life more abundantly

VI.               JESUS’ FUTURE
1.     He’s Coming Back to set up His Kingdom
2.      Enemies will Oppose Him but He wins. Psalm 2

3.      Satan will be bound 1,000 years. Rev 20
4.      He will reign 1,000 years on the Earth
5.      He has prepared an Eternal city
6.      He will prepare a new Heaven and a New Earth

VII.             WHO IS HE:





No comments:

Post a Comment