Sunday, February 12, 2017

IN SHAPE II “THE SOUL”
1 Thessalonians 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God dwells in the spirit; Self-dwells in the soul and senses dwell in the body
The spirit gives God consciousness; the soul self-consciousness; The body world consciousness

God made the spirit to rule but in order for the spirit to Govern the soul must give consent


I.                   THE SOUL
1.     Description
a.      Intellect, personality (self-consciousness)
b.     The soul represents our free will
c.      Thoughts, ideas, love, emotions, decisions etc
d.     Medium between the spirit and the body

2.     Creation of the Soul
Genesis 2:7
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

3.     Functions of the Soul
a.      The Will – Decide. The Power to choose
b.     The Mind – Reason, process, consider
c.      The Emotions – Expression

II.                DANGERS OF AN UNHEALTHY SOUL
1.     You are not healthy
3 John 2
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers
2.     Spirit is hindered from expression
3.     Relationships suffer
4.     More open doors to Satan

III.             WHAT THE SOUL NEEDS TO BE HEALTHY
1.     Light
Ephesians 4:17-18
17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart

2 Corinthians 4:3-4
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2.     A Cross
Matthew 10:37-39
37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 16:21-26
21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. 22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!” 23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

3.     The Word of God
Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.


4.     Awareness. Know what is going on
                        Psalm 19:13-14
            13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and I shall be innocent of great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength, and my Redeemer.
                        Psalm 26:2
                        2 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart.
5.     Resolve.
                        Philippians 3:13
      13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things, which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things, which are before.

    
6.     Vulnerability
                        James 5:16
16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

                        Philippians 4:6-7
      Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

7.     Solitude
                        Mark 6:31
      31 And He said to them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.

                        Psalm 46:10
10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

                        Lamentations 3:25-28
            25 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. 26       It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the Lord.

                        Psalm 131:1-2
            1 Lord, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with things too profound for me. 2  Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me.

                        Matthew 14:23
23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.






     

           


No comments:

Post a Comment