Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Sufficiency and Security - The Cry and Longing of Every Heart.
1.     Description of this condition from Isaiah, Jesus, and Bernard of Clairvaux
“Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink—even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk—it’s all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food. (Isaiah 55:1-2)

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

Jesus, Thou Joy of loving hearts, Thou Fount of life, Thou Light of men, From the best bliss that earth imparts, We turn unfilled to Thee again.        We taste Thee, O Thou living Bread, And long to feast upon Thee still; We drink of Thee, the Fountain-head, And thirst our souls from Thee to fill! Our restless spirits yearn for Thee, Wherever our changeful lot is cast; Glad when Thy gracious smile we see, Blest, when our faith can hold Thee fast. (Bernard of Clairvaux)


2.     Self-Diagnosis – Some Conditions and Questions to ask yourself.
Conditions
     i.      The feeling of being inadequate for a physical, emotional or spiritual challenge.
  ii.      Wanting more money, titles, education, fame, and other physical wants and needs.
iii.      Wanting to feel more spiritually satisfied and/or wanting more spiritual power.
iv.      Feeling insecure and wanting assured security.
  v.      Fear of the unknown and fear of the future. Worried and apprehensive of coming events and situations.
vi.      Confused and perplex on what is happening to you and/or what is happening in the world.
vii.      Feeling helpless and disillusioned.
viii.      Settled for whatever.  “Que sera sera”.

Questions
  i.      Are you seeking or have sought help for these and other mental, emotional and physically troubling problems and not quite finding it? 
ii.      And if you are a Christian or profess to be one, have you sought help by going up for prayers often?  Have you tried all or most of the “Christian” activities and yet these things seem to be recurring or you have not quite found the victory you want?

3.     The Solution – Falling and Staying in Love.   
 I.            It’s not an emphasis on ________________. Instead, it’s a __________ and _________________ commitment to a ____________ that will produce the necessary and required activities and results.

John 6:22-67 The next day the crowd that had stayed on the far shore saw that the disciples had taken the only boat, and they realized Jesus had not gone with them. Several boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the Lord had blessed the bread and the people had eaten. So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went across to Capernaum to look for him. They found him on the other side of the lake and asked, “Rabbi, when did you get here?” But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God, the Father has given me the seal of his approval.” They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?” Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”   . . . The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But some of you do not believe me.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning which ones didn’t believe, and he knew who would betray him.) Then he said, “That is why I said that people can’t come to me unless the Father gives them to me.” At this point, many of his disciples turned away and deserted him. Then Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked, Are you also going to leave?”

II.            _____________ and ______________ is falling and staying in love with Jesus.

2 Corinthians 3:5&6 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Galatians 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Philippians 4:10-13 How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

III.            ______ is able to _____ and ______ all of your physical and spiritual needs.

  i.      He may have to use a donkey as in the case of Balaam (Num 22:21-34).
ii.      He may tell you the opposite of what you want to hear as in the case of Naaman (2 Kings 5:1-14)
iii.      He may take you through a process instead of speaking a word to bring forth the miracle, as in the case of the man born blind. (John 9:6&7) But His power will still be at work.
iv.      He may have to speak to an inanimate object like he did to the howling winds and boisterous waves in the sea of Galilee when the disciples were terrified of the raging storm (Matthew 8:23-27)
v.      He may keep silent and seem to be acting in the reverse of what you need, even when you are praying and begging Him as he did with the Canaanite woman (Matthew 15:22-28) because He wants to teach you the vital truth of perseverance for future battles. But He will always come through as He did for her.
vi.      He may tell you to take the prescribed, required and obvious actions as he did with the ten lepers (Luke 7:12-14). His power will still be at work because He is the Lord over everything.
vii.      He may call you out so you can repent and turn to Him for deliverance as he did with Judas Iscariot (Matthew 26:21-25).  Please do not be set in your ways, do not resist Him and then go out into the dark.

4.     Results – The security and sufficiency you need in every situation.
John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I have come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly. (KJV)
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life. (NLT)

The Christian life should be a ___________________ and _______________ life.
2 Timothy 4:6-8   For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.


How many _______________ and ______________do you know that are named after Paul?  Why is that so?

No comments:

Post a Comment