Sunday, January 10, 2021

RESET II. Simplicity


Matthew 11:28-30

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give 

you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at

heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give

you is light.” 

 

Great Quotes on Simplicity:

 

“Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy.”

Isaac Newton

 

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo da Vinci

 

“That’s been one of my mantras – focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex…”

Steve Jobs

 

“The core of beauty is simplicity”

- Paulo Coelho

 

 

I.               GOD DEALS IN SIMPLICITY

 

1.     The Greatest Commandment -  NT

Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”  37 Jesus replied, “ ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” 

 

2.     Summary of the Law - OT

Micah 6:8

No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

 

3.     Christianity is Simplicity

                        2 Cor 11:3

                  But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his 

                  craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that 

                  is in Christ.

 

4.     Paul and Simplicity

                        1 Cor 2:2

For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

 

 

II.              GUIDELINES TOWARDS SIMPLICITY

 

1.     Quiet Your Soul

            Psalm 131:1-2

Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself,  like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk.  Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.

 

2.     Reevaluate what gain really is

1 Tim 6:6-7

Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it.

 

3.     Lay Aside Every Weight

Heb 12:1-2

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

 

4.     Mind your Own Business

1 Thess. 4:11

Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before.

 

5.     Strive for the Right Reasons

Eccl4:4

Then I observed that most people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbors. But this, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind. 

 

6.     Change your thinking

Phil 4:8

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

 

7.     Major on the most important Things

Jer. 9:23-24

This is what the Lord says: “Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom,  or the powerful boast in their power,  or the rich boast in their riches.  24 But those who wish to boast  should boast in this alone:  that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord  who demonstrates unfailing love  and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,  and that I delight in these things. 

 

8.     Find Your One Thing

Psalm 27:4

The one thing I ask of the Lord—  the thing I seek most—  is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,  delighting in the Lord’s perfections  and meditating in his Temple. 

 

9.     Remind yourself He is God

Psalm 46:10

“Be still and know that I am God!  I will be honored by every nation.  I will be honored throughout the world.”

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment