Sunday, October 10, 2021

THAT THORN IS BEAUTIFUL

THAT THORN IS BEAUTIFUL

 

2 Corinthians 12:1-10

It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from meAnd lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 

 

I.               THE FLESH

 

1.     Can only be flesh in this life

John 3:5-6

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

 

2.     Nothing good

Romans 7:18

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

 

3.     Works of the flesh are wicked

Galatians 5:19-21

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

 

 

4.     The flesh will kill you

Romans 8:13 (KJV)

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

 

5.     Lusts against spirit

Galatians 5:17

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

 

6.     Brings corruption

Galatians 6:8

For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

 

7.     Cannot please God

Romans 8:4-8

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spiritFor those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God

 

 

II.              THORNS

1.     It maybe spiritual (messenger of Satan)

2.     It may be relational

3.     It may be mental/emotional

4.     It may be a combination of things

5.     It’s not sin (Being trapped in sin is not a thorn)

6.     It’s not an excuse for being disobedient to Christ

 

 

III.            WHAT THORNS DO FOR US

1.     Show us God’s love and care for us

“There was given to me a thorn in the flesh..”

 

2.     Keeps us aware of our flesh

 

3.     Keeps pride at bay

lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh.

4.     Only needed to the degree we have flesh

 

5.     Thorns release God’s Grace

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness

 

6.     They keep us strong

For when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

IV.            HOW TO RESPOND TO THORNS

1.     Embrace them with gladness

Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

2.     Don’t run from them but grow to appreciate them

 

3.     See the thorn as more beautiful than the rose

 

No comments:

Post a Comment