Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Profit of God | Pastor Tre Townsley | 9 am

The Profit of God


 Accountable: To be completely responsible for what one does and able to

give a satisfactory reason for it

 One major reason for the push to disprove the existence of God is to be

free from accountability to anyone

 The appeal of adulthood is to be free from the accountability to parents

I. Accountability in the Scriptures

A. Belshazzar

Daniel 5:24-27 24  Then the fingers of the hand were sent from Him, and

this writing was written. 25  “And this is the inscription that was written:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN. 26  This is the interpretation

of each word. MENE: God has numbered your kingdom, and finished

it;  27  TEKEL: You have been weighed in the balances, and found

wanting

B. God’s Word

1. Spoken word

Isaiah 55:10-11 10  “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from

heaven, and do not return there, but water the earth, and make it

bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to

the eater, 11  So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It

shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please,

And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

2. Jesus, the Incarnate Word

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with

God, and the Word was God.

John 6:38-39(a)   For I have come down from heaven, not to do My

own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.  39  This is the will of the

Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose

nothing

John 16:28   I came forth from the Father and have come into the

world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your

name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them

is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be

fulfilled.


C. All creation

Hebrews 4:13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all

things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must

give account.

D. Man

Matthew 12:36   But I say to you that for every idle word men may

speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.


II. The Expectation of the Steward

A. Production

Matthew 25:14-30 14  “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling

to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods

to them.  15  And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to

another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately

he went on a journey.  16  Then he who had received the five talents went

and traded with them, and made another five talents.  17  And likewise he

who had received two gained two more also.  18  But he who had

received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s

money.  19  After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled

accounts with them.

20  “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other

talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have

gained five more talents besides them.’  21  His lord said to him,

‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few

things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your

lord.’  22  He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you

delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents

besides them.’  23  His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful

servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler

over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

24  “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I

knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and

gathering where you have not scattered seed.  25  And I was afraid, and

went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what

is yours.’

26  “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant,

you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have

not scattered seed.  27  So you ought to have deposited my money with

the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own

with interest.  28  So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has

ten talents.


29  ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have

abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be

taken away.  30  And cast the unprofitable (achreios) servant into the

outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

B. Profit

Luke 17:7-10 7  And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending

sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at

once and sit down to eat’?  8  But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare

something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have

eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’?  9  Does he thank

that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I

think not.  10  So likewise you, when you have done all those things which

you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable (achreios) servants.

We have done what was our duty to do.’ ”

 My profitability can not be measured by the performance of others

Luke 18:9-14 9  Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in

themselves that they were righteous, and despised

others:  10  “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a

Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  11  The Pharisee stood and

prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like

other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax

collector.  12  I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I

possess.’  13  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so

much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying,

‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’  14  I tell you, this man went

down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone

who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles

himself will be exalted.”

III. In Light of These Things…

A. Know the Investment

1. The investment common to all

1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not

for ours only but also for the whole world.

2. The individual investment

 Time

 Talents

 Abilities

 Money


B. Give Account to Oneself (regularly)


1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection,

lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should

become disqualified.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it’s an all the time thing. You don’t

win once in a while. You don’t do things right once in a while—you do

them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing…”

Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment