Sunday, April 16, 2023

Parable of the Good Samaritan | Pastor Jeremiah Andrews

Parable of the Good Samaritan


Luke 10: 25 – 37

25  On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26  “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27  He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your

mind’ [c] ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ [d] ”

28  “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29  But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30  In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of

his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 

31  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 

32  So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 

33  But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity (Compassion) on him.

  34  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to

an inn and took care of him. 

35  The next day he took out two denarii [e]  and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will

reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36  “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37  The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”


The Priest (A religious leader):

1. These were ordained by God to offer sacrifices–

2. Priests were to teach the Law–

3. Priests determined whether a person was sick or healthy–

The Levite (A religious leader):

Levites' principal roles in the Temple was associated with public worship. In this capacity, the Levites were musicians, gate

keepers, guardians, Temple officials, judges, and craftsmen (performing construction and maintenance for the Temple). Levites

also served as teachers and judges, maintaining cities of refuge in biblical times.

The Samaritan:

The Samaritans were considered “half-breeds” by most Jews. This was because of the influx of the Assyrians when they

conquered Israel, the Northern kingdom, in 722 B.C. They took a number of the Jews to Assyria as captive slaves, but they also

moved a great number of Assyrians into the conquered land. Thus, the Jews intermarried with the Assyrians and this affected

their religion, which became a mixture of Judaism and Assyrian idolatry.

The Samaritans built their own temple which the Jews considered pagan. The feud grew, and by the time of Christ, the Jews

hated the Samaritans so much they crossed the Jordan river rather than travel through Samaria.

Many Jews refused to travel through Samaria and would take the Eastern route by the Jordan River. They did this because of

their disdain for the Samaritans.


(John 4:9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman

of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.)


Question: Where am I in this parable?

Open Eyes (Seeing only):

Three people saw the need (vs 31-33)

All three assessed the situation and made a decision. Only one responded to the need.

James 2:15-18 15  If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in

peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what

doth it profit? 17  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I

have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.


Open Heart (feeling the need):

Love is the fuel that activates compassion.

Do I have an open heart?

Do I lack compassion and choose to walk away? (It’s easier to let someone else deal with it)

The Samaritan was moved with compassion in his heart and responded to the need despite their differences.

Jesus was moved with compassion to act in many situations (Mat. 9:36, Mat. 14:14, Mat. 15:32, Mat. 20:34)


Open Hands: (Helping to meet the need)

Galatians 6: 10   As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the

household of faith.

Am I willing to do what I can to help someone in need?

I can’t do everything, but I can do something.

Where do I start? (vs 33-35) – Start where you are, and with what you have.

What resources do I have access to?

Learn what’s available and connect with others who can further assist in ministering to the need.


Mathew 25: 34- 40

34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared

for you from the foundation of the world:

35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave

thee drink?

38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the

least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment