Sunday, August 6, 2023

From Chore to Choice | Pastor Chris Searcy | 10am

 

From Chore to Choice

 

Orienting our hearts in busy seasons

 

Competing perspectives

The beauty perspective: Embracing God’s beauty, and his beautiful plan for our lives.

 

The dark perspective: A focus on how bad we are treated, how hard things are, how much we

fail, and how worthless our life is. We must refuse to let a dark narrative dominate our heart and

internal conversation.

Delighting in the beauty of Jesus is essential to walking in victory, especially in this hour when

fear, lust, offense, and violence are increasing.

David had a unique perspective on this.

He faced several attempts on his life and was chased by armies on multiple occasions, yet he

writes this song.

 

Psalm 27:1-4

The Lord is my light and my salvation;

    whom shall I fear?

The Lord is the stronghold of my life;

    of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evildoers assail me

    to eat up my flesh,

my adversaries and foes,

    it is they who stumble and fall.

3 Though an army encamp against me,

    my heart shall not fear;

though war arise against me,

    yet I will be confident.

4 One thing have I asked of the Lord,

    that will I seek after:

that I may dwell in the house of the Lord

    all the days of my life,

to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord

    and to inquire in his temple.

 

David says later:

 

Psalm 27:13-14

13 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord

    in the land of the living!

 

14 Wait for the Lord;

    be strong, and let your heart take courage;

    wait for the Lord!

 

His men thought he was crazy

 

What would you say is there one of the strongest predictor of attraction?

Looks,

money,

washboard abs,

clout?……

 

Its not any of those, So what is it?

 

in 1950 an American Psychologist sought to find the answer to this question do you know what

he found?

PROXIMITY!

 

Proximity Effect is related to the time that people spend together. Research found out that

there is a positive correlation between the amount of time spent together and the attraction

between people.

The more time we spend meditating on him the more we become fascinated.

The more we become fascinated the stronger our bond.

It is our bond that gives us strength to stand against the dark perspective.

The more you grow in love for him no sacrifice will seem too great because we know who he is!

Because you love him and are loved by him.

 

Why are we talking about this now?

Because school is right around the corner Summer is almost over

Which is a heightened time of busyness for many of us.

Its a time where we can get so burdened by the regular life things that the first thing that we stop

doing is spending time with God.

 

How do we do that:

Lets commit to the first 28 days of this fall season to finding 10 minutes everyday to spend time

with him.

Ends Sunday, September 3rd

 

Here are ways to spend time with him:

 

Prayer, Proclaiming scripture, or Praise.

 

Prayer

Talking to God.

 

Proclaiming scripture

Reading the Bible and speaking what we see in it about God’s beauty and character. Our delight

of His beauty grows by speaking it. We are to speak to God the things we admire about Him.

 

Praise

Singing to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment