Sunday, March 10, 2024

Boasting Only In The Cross | 3.10.24 | Pastor Chris

Boasting Only in the Cross



1 Corinthians 3: 1-7

1 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as

people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food,

for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly.

For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not

acting like mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow

Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came

to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos

watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the

one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.


What and who do we boast in?

As christians do we boast in our gifts, money, talents?????

1 Corinthians 1:17

17For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of

eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Galatians 6:14

May it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through

which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Places where Paul himself uses the same word for “boast” or “exult”?

We exult in hope of the glory of God. ( Romans 5:2 )

We also exult in our tribulations, knowing that they produce patience and approvedness

and hope. ( Romans 5:3 )

Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses. ( 2 Corinthians 12:9 )

Who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you?” ( 1 Thessalonians

2:19 ) (For you are our glory and joy.)

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed I count

everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For

his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I

may gain Christ. ( Philippians 3:7–8 )

We must only boast in Christ not success.

No comments:

Post a Comment