Sunday, July 28, 2024

Breaking Down Barriers: Unity in Christ | Pastor Chris | 10am

 Breaking Down Barriers: Unity in Christ


Ephesians 3:1-13 (ESV)

1 For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you

Gentiles— 2 assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace that was

given to me for you, 3 how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have

written briefly. 4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of

Christ, 5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has

now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6 This mystery is that

the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise

in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

7 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was

given me by the working of his power. 8 To me, though I am the very least of all the

saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of

Christ, 9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for

ages in God, who created all things, 10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom

of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly

places. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ

Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through

our faith in him. 13 So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which

is your glory.

Verses 1-3: Paul’s Imprisonment and Revelation

Verses 4-6: The Mystery of Christ (1)

Verses 7-9: Paul’s Ministry (2)

Verses 10-13: God’s Eternal Purpose (3)

Historical Context of 1st Century Ephesus

Ephesus: A major city in the Roman Empire, known for its diversity and the Temple of

Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

Cultural and Social Barriers: Ephesus was a melting pot of cultures, religions, and

economic statuses, creating divisions among people.

Jews and Gentiles: The Jewish community often saw themselves as separate from

Gentiles, creating religious and social barriers.

The Mystery Revealed

• The mystery refers to God’s plan to include the Gentiles in His salvation through

Christ, breaking down the dividing wall between Jews and Gentiles (Ephesians

2:14-16).

• This revelation signifies God’s inclusive plan and the universality of the gospel.

Paul Proclaiming Unity in Christ

• Paul’s ministry emphasizes that in Christ, all barriers are broken down, and all

believers are one body.


Page 2 of


• The church now a unified body of believers, irrespective of ethnic or cultural

backgrounds.

We are to Embrace Unity in Diversity

• Actively seek to break down barriers within the church community, whether

they are racial, cultural, socio-economic, or denominational.

• Emphasize common identity in Christ over differences.

Galatians 3:28 ESV

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is

no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Jesus prayed for this:

John 17:20-23 ESV

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me

through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in

me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may

believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I

have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in

them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the

world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.


All for God’s Eternal Purpose and Glory

• The church is central to God’s plan to display His wisdom to the world and the

spiritual realm.

• Our unity and the breaking down of barriers within the church demonstrate God’s

manifold wisdom.

We are to proclaim the Inclusive Gospel

• Share the gospel with everyone, recognizing that it is meant for all people,

not just a select group.

Demonstrate God’s Wisdom Through Unity

John 13:35 (ESV)

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Ephesians 4:13 (ESV):

"Until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to

mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.”

Paul wrote this from prison… put there by the very people he preached to!

Be Encouraged by Paul’s Example…. Persevere

No comments:

Post a Comment