Sunday, August 25, 2013

8/25/13 - Bishop K. Searcy - Defending the Grace of God


Growing in Grace: 

Defending the Grace of God

 

 

2 Peter 3:18

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.

Jude 3-4

3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

I.                 FIG LEAVES

 

1.  The tree was the knowledge of good and evil – brings death.

Gen. 2:17

 

2.  Man’s effort to deal with such death is some activity to cover shame. Gen. 3:7

 

3.  The shame and death causes us to run from God. Gen. 3:8

 

4.  God covered their shame with something that cost them nothing. Gen. 3:21

 

 

 

II.             THE LAW

 

1.   Let Them Have More Of What They Think They Want Until They Realize What They Need.

 

Rom. 3:20

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Rom. 7:12

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

 

2.   All O.T. Sacrifices Fell Short.

 

Heb. 10:9

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.

 

Heb. 10:1-3

 

3.   We Needed Something Different.

 

Gal. 3:24-25

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

 

 

 

III.         ENTER JESUS

 

1.   Jesus Is Full Of Grace And Truth.

 

John 1:14

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

 

2.   Our Hearts Must Be Settled (Satisfied, Established, At Peace) With Grace. Not Needing Extra Stuff Like Rules, Meats Etc.

 

Heb. 13:9

9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

 

IV.         TRUE GRACE

 

1.  Grace Is Not A Singular Application.

John 1:16

                16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for

                    grace

 

2.  Grace ____________    _____________ Up And Gives You An

 

 Inheritance Among The ____________________.

 

Acts 20:32

32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

 

3.  Grace Empowers You In Weak Areas.

 

2 Cor. 12:7-9

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me

 

4.  You Can Frustrate Grace.

 

Gal. 2:20-21

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

 

5.  ________________   ___________________ Must Be In Grace.

 

2 Tim. 2:1

Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in

 Christ Jesus.

 

Phil. 4:11-13

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every

 

where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me[1]

       

6.  Grace _________________   You To Live Holy.

 

Titus 2:11-12

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

 

7.  Any Gospel Other Than The Gospel Of Grace Is Another Gospel.

 

Gal. 1:6

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel.

 



 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bishop,
    I have a question/comment about the law and grace based off this lesson.
    I know that the law is our school master that brought us to Christ. My question is do we still live by the law not to redeem ourselves but because we have been redeem? If not the laws of Moses, then is it the law of grace if so what is the law of grace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please call the church to schedule an appointment. Let's talk. God Bless you.

      Delete