Saturday, March 7, 2020

TEACH THEM TO REACH THEM


TEACH THEM TO REACH THEM

In this teaching we will briefly discuss two important questions. The first is what does the Bible say about the nature of the church?  The second is what does the Bible say about expectations for how a church goes about fulfilling its purpose? The answer to these questions will give us clarity as to how to focus our energy and efforts in training those we are responsible for.

       I. THE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH


Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

But who do you say that I am? You here is plural.  Jesus was asking the whole group what they thought of Him. Peter spoke up for the group and declared He was the Christ (Messiah).

Jesus declared: “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
The revelation of Jesus being the Messiah is a supernatural work. No man can come except the Father draw him (John 6:44). Simon was blessed because He received this revelation, but the disciples also had the revelation. Peter simply spoke up for the group.
Jesus responded  18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church.

Peter in Greek is Petros – A Masculine word that means “rock”. Then Jesus talks about building his church on that rock. That word rock is petra a feminine form of the same word.  Jesus said you are Petros, and on this petra, I will build my church. Jesus was not saying the church was built upon a man. Jesus didn’t call it Peter’s church. He said it is “my church.”

Summary: The church is built on who we say that He is…
If we are not saying who He is, we hinder the building of the church
1 Peter 2:9 NKJV
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.

1 Peter 2:9,12 The Message
But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted… 12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good (kalos) works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Proclaim (exangello gk.) – Has to do with proclaiming the gospel. Comes from the concept of a herald. In those days news was translated by a herald, who announced information to others. Exangello includes the notion of speaking forth verbally what others don’t know.

The church is God’s own chosen people that should declare Him through verbal proclamation and behavior of good works.


    II. THE HEART OF GOD FOR LOST SOULS


The value and priority of Jesus’ heart for the lost is displayed in these three parables. In each parable the thing lost wasn’t the only thing had. There were more sheep, more coins and another son. But those things did not consume the owner’s heart. The thing that was lost moved him.

Luke 15:1-32
Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, “This Man receives sinners and eats with them.” So He spoke this parable to them, saying:

The Lost Sheep

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

The Lost Coin
“Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’ 10 Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

The Lost Son
11 Then He said: “A certain man had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood. 13 And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living. 14 But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want. 15 Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16 And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything. 17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, 19 and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.” ’ 20 “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. 23 And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; 24 for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry. 25 “Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and because he has received him safe and sound, your father has killed the fatted calf.’ 28 “But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’ 31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ”


  III. TWELVE REASONS EVERY BELIEVER MUST SHARE THEIR FAITH


1.      There Are Great Eternal Rewards for Sharing your Faith
Dan 12:3
3 Those who are wise shall shine Like the brightness of the firmament, And those who turn many to righteousness Like the stars forever and ever.

2.      Because of what Jesus has done for us

Mark 5:14-19
14 So those who fed the swine fled, and they told it in the city and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that had happened. 15 Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 16 And those who saw it told them how it happened to him who had been demon-possessed, and about the swine. 17 Then they began to plead with Him to depart from their region. 18 And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. 19 However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.”


3.      We are God’s Only Method for Letting Others Know

Romans 10:14-15
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Preach – herald. Someone who lets folks know what’s going on

4.      It’s the Reason Jesus Came

Luke 19:10
10    for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

5.      God often brings us Divine Opportunities that we miss if we are not sharing our story

Gen 38:6-10
Then Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord killed him. And Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife and marry her, and raise up an heir to your brother.” But Onan knew that the heir would not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in to his brother’s wife, that he emitted on the ground, lest he should give an heir to his brother. 10 And the thing which he did displeased the Lord.

We often ENJOY conversation and fellowship with people but never plant the seed of the gospel. The seed goes to waste. We must correct this.

6.      The Power Of One Seed

1 Cor. 3:5-6
Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.


7.      It’s Good News

Matthew 11;2-6
And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples and said to Him, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?” Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel (good news) preached to them. And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”

Luke 8:1
Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him.

8.      They Are Going To Die

John 8:24
24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

1 John 5:12
11    He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life

9.      They Are Going To Live

John 10:10
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly

10.  Because Jesus Is So Worth Talking About

Song 5:9
9 What is your beloved more than another beloved, O fairest among women? What is your beloved More than another beloved, That you so charge us?...16 His mouth is most sweet, Yes, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, And this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem!

11.  The More We Talk About It The More We Live It

Rev. 12:11
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony
·         Our testimony makes us re-live the beauty of salvation over again. It stirs it up and makes us appreciate Jesus afresh.

12.  It’s Wisdom

Prov. 11:30
30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who wins souls is wise.

13.  People Are Ready to Get Saved

John 4:35-36
35 Do you not say, ‘There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! 36 And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together


14. SEVEN STEPS TO SHARING YOUR STORY WITH OTHERS


1.      The Before Christ Picture (What I Used To Be Like)

Acts 22:1-5
“Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now.” And when they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they kept all the more silent. Then he said: “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, taught according to the strictness of our fathers’ law, and was zealous toward God as you all are today. I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women, as also the high priest bears me witness, and all the council of the elders, from whom I also received letters to the brethren, and went to Damascus to bring in chains even those who were there to Jerusalem to be punished.

A.    What Was My Life Like That Will Relate Most To The Non-Christian?

B.     What did my life revolve around the most?  What did I get my security or happiness from?  (The non-Christian is relying on something external to give him happiness)

C.     How did those areas begin to let me down?
·         Your goal: to give specific, yet appropriate, examples of what your life was like (attitudes, needs, problems) before Christ.

·        Remember the examples you give will establish you as a credible witness in the minds of non-Christians. However, avoid a religious focus. (You want to make it about Jesus and your need for Him.) Don't spend a great amount of time talking about church activities or denominations before your life began to change. Likewise, avoid being over explicit and sensational in speaking of drugs, immorality, crime or drunkenness.


2.      What Got My Attention (The Event That Changed It All)

Acts 22:6-11
“Now it happened, as I journeyed and came near Damascus at about noon, suddenly a great light from heaven shone around me. And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ So I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’ “And those who were with me indeed saw the light and were afraid, but they did not hear the voice of Him who spoke to me. 10 So I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do.’ 11 And since I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of those who were with me, I came into Damascus.

D.    When was the first time I heard the gospel? (Or when was I exposed to transforming Christianity)

E.     What were my initial reactions?

F.      When did my attitude begin to turn around, and Why?

G.    What were the final struggles that went through my mind just before I accepted Christ?

H.    Why did I decide to surrender to Christ?

·         Your goal: to allow the listener to walk away with a clear understanding of how you became a Christian and how he or she can trust Christ as the payment for their sins.

·         Be careful not to use clichés and church language. Talk in terms they'll understand.


3.      My Life Now (The Results)

Acts 22:12-21
12 “Then a certain Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good testimony with all the Jews who dwelt there, 13 came to me; and he stood and said to me, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight.’ And at that same hour I looked up at him. 14 Then he said, ‘The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth. 15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’17 “Now it happened, when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I was in a trance 18 and saw Him saying to me, ‘Make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, for they will not receive your testimony concerning Me.’ 19 So I said, ‘Lord, they know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believe on You. 20 And when the blood of Your martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by consenting to his death, and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.’ 21 Then He said to me, ‘Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.’”

v Share Specific changes and illustrations about the changes Christ has made:

·         Your goal: to explain specific ways Christ has changed your life -- to show that having Christ in your life really does make a difference!

·         Avoid using general statements such as “I have so much peace now.” Be specific. It is the Holy Spirit’s responsibility to draw someone to Christ, but you want to communicate your story in such a way to show the listener that your life is different and more meaningful with Christ.


4.      The Invite (Offer Jesus to Them)

Acts 26:25-27
26 For the king, before whom I also speak freely, knows these things; for I am convinced that none of these things escapes his attention since this thing was not done in a corner. 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you do believe”

A.          Pop the question (Have you done anything like this?)

B.           Would you like to give Jesus control of your life?


            5.      Tips


A.          Glorify Jesus not your past
B.           De Church your language. Use common phrases all can understand
C.           Do it in 3 to 5 minutes
D.          Write testimony out and practice it
E.           Give the invitation in a non-open-ended way
F.            Make the invitation personal




No comments:

Post a Comment