Sunday, March 28, 2021

SEVEN SAYINGS OF JESUS ON THE CROSS

SEVEN SAYINGS OF JESUS ON THE CROSS

1. Father Forgive them for they know not what to do. Luke 23:34

The first word from the cross was the word, “Father.” And the last word will begin with

the simple word, “Father.”

Love forgives –

Eph 4:32

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ

forgave you.

Col 3:12-13

Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness,

humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13  bearing with one another, and forgiving one

another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you

also must do.


2. Truly I say to you today you shall be with me in Paradise. Luke 23:34

Ex. Thief on the Cross

St. Augustine, commenting on this scene, observed: “so little is asked... so much is

given.”

Rom 10:23

For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

So free and wonderful why run from it?

3. Woman behold your son…behold your mother. John 19:26-27

When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He

said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!” 27  Then He said to the disciple, “Behold

your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.

Shows His care and compassion. Even in His deepest pain as a human He cared

Luke 2:34-35

Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined

for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against 35  (yes,


a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may

be revealed.”

1 Peter 5:7

casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Phil 4:6-7

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,

let your requests be made known to God; 7  and the peace of God, which surpasses all

understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

4. I thirst. John 19:28

Psalm 69:20-21

Reproach has broken my heart, And I am full of heaviness; I looked for someone to take

pity, but there was none; And for comforters, but I found none. 21 They also gave me gall

for my food, And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

He understands our suffering

Heb 2:17-18

Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful

and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of

the people. 18  For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those

who are tempted.

He thirsted so we never thirst again….

John 4:

5. My God, My God why have you forsaken me? Matthew 27:46

Isaiah 53:10

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.

2 Cor 5:21

God made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness

of God in Him

The harshness of sin, holiness and the effort of God to redeem it

6. It is Finished

Surely he was expressing relief that his suffering was over. “It is finished”, I believe

meant, in part, and “This is finally done!” But the Greek word translated as “It is finished”, means more than just this. The Message: captures the full sense of this word,

“It’s done . . . complete.” Jesus had accomplished his mission.

John 17:4

I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to

do.

Rom 5:8

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ

died for us.

7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit

Psalm 31:5

Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

He gives us a picture of death for those who die in Christ

Absent from the body present with the Lord

Two scenes for each who die are pictured on the Cross

Why have you forsaken me….

Into your hand I commit my spirit…

No comments:

Post a Comment