Sunday, September 10, 2023

A TRIANGLE OF BIBLICAL MANHOOD

I. MANHOOD UNDER ATTACK

A. TOXIC MASCULINITY TALK

Background: first used by psychologist Shepherd Bliss in the 1980s and 1990s,

who sought to separate the negative traits of men from the positive and used

‘toxic masculinity’ as a means of making the distinction.

Definition: Toxic masculinity refers to the notion that some people’s idea of

“manliness” perpetuates domination, and aggression. Toxic masculinity involves

cultural pressures for men to behave in a certain way. It likely affects all boys and

men in some fashion.

B. CELEBRATION OF EFFEMINATE MEN

1 Cor 6:9

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not

deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor

abusers of themselves with mankind.


II. JESUS


Matthew 3:16-17

When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and

behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God

descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. 17  And suddenly a voice came

from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matthew 17:5

While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and

suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in

whom I am well pleased. Hear Him.


A. His Humanity

Gen 3:15


And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, and between your seed and

her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel

Isaiah 7:14

Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive

and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.

1 Tim 2:4-5

For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ

Jesus


.


Gal 4:4-5

But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a

woman, born under the law, 5  to redeem those who were under the law, that we

might receive the adoption as sons.

Heb 2:17-18

Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a

merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation

for the sins of the people. 18  For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted,

He is able to aid those who are tempted.

2 Tim 2:8

Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead

according to my gospel.

Evidence of His Humanity

a. Circumcision. Lu 2:21.

b. Growth. Lu 2:51-52

c. Hungering. Mt 4:2

d. Sleeping Matt 8:24

e. Tiredness John 4:6

f. Side Pierced John 19:34

g. Death. John 19:30


B. Dominate Characteristic: Submission to the Fathers Will


John 8:28-29

Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know

that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I

speak these things. 29  And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left

Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.

John 4:34

Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish

His work

John 6:38

For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him

who sent Me


Matthew 26:39

He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if

it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You

will.”

III. DANIEL

Dan 10:10-11

Suddenly, a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the

palms of my hands. 11  And he said to me, “O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand

the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you.”

While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling.

A. Dominate Characteristic: Steadfastness

1. Kings Meat. Dan 1:8

2. Lions Den. Dan 6:3

3. Prophetic Words. Dan 4:19

4. 3 Kings of Babylon (Consistent)

1 Cor 15:58

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in

the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.


IV. King David

Acts 13:22


And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also

He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My

own heart, who will do all My will.’

1 Sam 13:14

But now your kingdom shall not continue. The LORD has sought for Himself a man

after His own heart, and the LORD has commanded him to be commander over His

people

A. Dominate Characteristic: “After” “Heart”

Psalm 27:1-6


A Psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation;

Whom shall I fear?

The LORD is the strength of my life;

Of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked came against me

To eat up my flesh,

My enemies and foes,

They stumbled and fell.

3 Though an army may encamp against me,

My heart shall not fear;

Though war may rise against me,

In this I will be confident.

4 One thing I have desired of the LORD,

That will I seek:

That I may dwell in the house of the LORD

All the days of my life,

To behold the beauty of the LORD,

And to inquire in His temple.

5 For in the time of trouble

He shall hide me in His pavilion;

In the secret place of His tabernacle

He shall hide me;

He shall set me high upon a rock.

6 And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;

Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle;

I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD


Summary:

1. Live to Do His Will

2. Remain Steadfast in Babylon

3. Relentlessly Pursue God’s Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment